Besides getting recommendations from friends or family, the most common way people find ophthalmologists is through online research. If you’re in the process of looking for an ophthalmologist in Queens or the Bronx, we offer several tips about what to look for when using the internet to search for eye doctors.
Regularly visiting an ophthalmologist for preventive eye care can reduce the risk of permanent eye damage and vision loss because eye doctors can detect and treat troublesome conditions before they progress too far.
How do you find the best ophthalmologist for you? Keep these tips in mind:
- Find a practice that includes both ophthalmologists and optometrists. Many people don’t understand there’s a difference. Ophthalmologists are the only physicians who are medically trained to manage the complete range of eye and vision care. But you may not always need to schedule appointments with an ophthalmologist. Optometrists specialize in vision exams and prescribing contact lenses or eyeglasses.
- Check the doctor’s credentials. Board certification is one of the most important factors to consider when you are choosing an ophthalmologist. A board-certified doctor has the necessary training, skills, and experience to provide the best ophthalmic care.
- Consider the specific treatment you need. Some ophthalmologists may specialize or have more experience in one area than another. If you need treatment for a specific condition, try to find an eye doctor with extensive experience treating it. Ask how many patients the ophthalmologist has treated for that specific condition.
- Look for independent reviews online. Most people rely on online reviews before choosing a restaurant or hotel, so you should get a sense of what other patients think of an eye doctor before putting your vision in his or her hands.
- Don’t choose an eye care practice until after your first appointment. Your experience at that appointment might change your mind. The amount of time you wait before seeing the ophthalmologist, your comfort level with the doctor or doctors you meet, and the friendliness of the staff should all be considered because those factors are the keys to your long-term satisfaction.
Seeing an ophthalmologist or optometrist on a regular basis is an essential part of your health care. Some people believe online eye tests are a substitute for personal eye exams, but they don’t assess the health of your eyes.
With 3 locations, including Jackson Heights, Jamaica, and the Bronx, New York Ophthalmology offers convenient access to high-quality eye care that’s available to virtually all residents. You can request an appointment at one of these locations using the online form or call us directly at (718) 585-5500 (Bronx), (718) 206-2002 (Jamaica), or (718) 205-5050 (Jackson Heights).